Women always want to appear beautiful with a glowing face, regardless of whether they are at home or in public.
Hair growth is a natural process that can also be influenced by hormonal changes as well as genetics. Many of you have doubts about what is the best way to remove facial hair, particularly if you are a beginner.
The different facial hair removal methods discussed in this article can be used by our female readers who wish to deal with unwanted facial hair.
Reasons for abnormal facial hair growth
- Hormonal Imbalance
When a woman produces more testosterone than the usual level, it can lead to more hairs on her body and face.
- Disorder Of Adrenal Gland
Hormonal reproduction is controlled by the adrenal glands. However, hair growth can be caused by a disorder of these glands.
- Intake of Medicines
Some medicines can lead to excessive hair growth, including anabolic steroids, minoxidil, and testosterone tablets.
Best Methods of Facial Hair Removal for Women
1.Tweezing the facial hair
Tweezing is good for shaping your eyebrows. Although the tweezers help to remove hair from all over the face. Useful for chin, upper lips as well.
Usually, tweezing results last up to two to three weeks which is a pretty good time interval.
Tweezing is an easy method that you can use at the comfort of your home to get rid of facial hair. Though it helps to grow inbound hair.
Best Tweezers for facial hair removal
- Revlon Gold Series Lighted Slant Tweezer
- Tweezer Guru Precision Slant Eyebrow Tweezers
- Purebello Four Piece Tweezer Set
- Revlon Mini Tweezer Set To Go, Slant and Point Tip Tweezers
2. Threading the excess hair
The threading method is another way to shape your eyebrows and remove unwanted facial hair from the upper lip, side of the face, and chin.
Threading is the most common eyebrow shaping method in many beauty salons. A little bit of experience is necessary if you plan to do this on your own unless you are a professional beautician.
You may feel pain and discomfort while threading when the hair pulls out from the hair follicles. Applying a numbing cream or a warm massage can help suppress the pain.
An advantage of threading is that it will not leave ingrown hairs like tweezing or shaving.
3. Shaving off facial hair
Shaving is one of the easiest ways to remove unwanted hair from your face. You can use a traditional shaver or even an electric shaver at your convenience.
Not only your facial hair but hair from your legs, underarms, arms as well as bikini line can be removed using shavers.
One of the downsides of the shaving method is that it promotes the growth of inbound hair.
List of best electric shavers for facial hair
- Panasonic Facial Hair Trimmer for Women – Smooth and flexible pivoting head allows to smoothly trim and shave the facial hair keeping the natural contours.
- SaikerMan Cordless Electric Razor for Women – Comes with horizontal handles so that you can shave holding by both hands.
- Wahl Ear, Nose, & Brow Trimmer Clipper – Best shaver for necklines, eyebrows and ears.
4. At-Home Waxing method
Waxing is an effective method of removing hair from your upper lip, chin, forehead, and cheeks.
You can do waxing at home or from a salon. You may get professional help from a salon.
You may want to consider a few things if you prefer to do waxing at home such as hair length, type of waxes – hot wax, cold wax, waxing strips, hard wax and where you want to do waxing.
Best At Home Waxing Kits
- GiGi Hard Body Wax for Brazilian
- Nad’s Sugar Wax Kit
- Nad’s Wax Kit Gel At Home Waxing Kit
- Bliss Poetic Waxing Kit
How to prepare yourself before waxing
For the skin to avoid irritation and the issues that come with it, good waxing practices and proper skin preparation are essential.
Exfoliate your skin
Remove dead skin cells that surround the hair roots with a gentle exfoliation method the day or two before you wax.
Ingrown hairs can be relieved with exfoliation, and waxing results are improved.
Clean the skin
Make sure your skin is freshly washed before you start your waxing session. Remove any germs, sweat, oil, makeup, dirt, or other residue with a mild soap.
You’re more likely to develop infections with dirt, and overly oily skin and hair can cause wax to not stick.
Wet hair won’t stick to wax so make sure it’s completely dry.
When you sweat, talcum powder will provide some relief before waxing.
Painless Waxing – Best Practices
- Waxing temperature. Always patch test the waxing temperature. It should not be too hot but tolerable.
- Always apply wax in the direction of the hair growth whether you are using wax strips or wax without strips.
- Pull off the wax in the opposite direction of the hair growth by tightly holding the skin with one hand.
- Apply any numbing cream before 30 minutes of waxing if you are less tolerable to pain.
5. Using depilatory hair removal creams
Many of us have wondered if there is a cream that will remove facial hair permanently could be much useful. This doubt is common when we spend so much time and money in dealing with eyebrow shaping, upper lip threading and shaving.
Depilatory creams are good to remove facial hair as well as hair from other parts of the body though it is not a permanent hair removal method.
List of Best Facial Hair Removal Creams
- Olay Smooth Finish Duo Facial Hair Removal Cream – removes all the stubborn hairs in a 2-step process leaving your facial skin smooth and glowing.
- Avon Skin So Soft Facial Hair Removal Cream – Contain Aloe Vera and Meadowfoam oil that makes it perfect for sensitive skin hair removal.
- Veet Gel Hair Removal Cream for Sensitive Skin – This cream has a gel-based formula that works perfectly on sensitive skin and helps to remove the unwanted hairs from the roots.
- Sally Hansen Hair Removal Cream for Face and Body – This cream enriched with Collagen which moisturizes the skin once done with the hair removal.
- Veet 3-In-1 Facial Hair Removal Cream – One of the best facial hair removal cream for upper lips, and chin.
6. Epilating the facial hair
For facial hair removal, epilation is another good option. If you don’t have time to wax or tweeze your face, epilation can eliminate the hair quickly, and it is an excellent choice if you’re busy.
With epilators, multiple hairs are pulled out simultaneously from the root. The hair takes longer to grow back because it is taken out from its root.
Before you epilate, it is good to exfoliate your face to prevent hair breakage.
Although epilations can be painful, they can be made less painful by going slowly. It is better to apply an ice cube if you have swelling after the hair removal procedure.
List of best facial epilators
- Emjoi Epi Slim Epilator -This epilator uses Erase Glide Technology, the glide back and forth or circular motion removes the hair faster from your skin. You are able to remove the hair from the root as short as 0.3mm
- Braun Face 851 Women’s Facial Epilator – The 10 micro openings of the depilator head of this epilator help you to cut the finest hairs as short as 0.02mm.
- Gillette Venus Face Perfection Women’s Epilator – Perfect epilator to remove hair on your sensitive skin areas like the chin, upper lip, forehead and around the eyebrows.
- Braun Silk Epil 9 9579 Epilator – The latest micro grip tweezer technology allows you to remove the hair in deeper even deeper than the wax does.
- Philips Satinelle Advanced Hair Removal Epilator – Rechargeable epilator best for travel purpose.
Also Read : Best Epilator Reviews
How to epilate your facial hair
- Get the best epilator that best suits your face
- Exfoliate your face with a facial brush, which mostly comes with the epilator package. This helps to remove the impurities and dead skin cells in your face.
- Your face should be clean and dry. Never use any lotions, oil or moisturiser as it will prevent proper epilation
- Keep your facial tissues tight in order to avoid pain during epilation
- Use 2-3 pieces of ice to reduce irritation or redness after epilation
6. Laser hair removal
Laser hair removal is the best method if you want a long-lasting effect. The hair may take up to six months to grow back after laser hair removal as the laser beams damage the hair follicles.
Laser hair removal treatment can be quite expensive. If you do not want to spend a lot on a laser treatment spa or clinic, then you can try at-home laser hair removal kits.
Follow these steps when using an at-home laser hair removal device:
- Cleanse your face thoroughly and shave. Since this procedure involves removing hair from under the skin, it works best on short hair.
- Different laser kits come with different instructions. Use the kit according to the instructions. Continue until you reach your desired result.
A laser removal method may be used almost anywhere on the body and face, except your eyes. This makes the procedure highly versatile.
What are the advantages of laser hair removal
- The laser targets coarse, dark hair with great precision.
- Fast treatment: The laser takes just milliseconds, and can treat several areas of hair at once, allowing small areas to be treated within minutes.
- Growing hair is sometimes less dense than before and the color of the new hair is often lighter than the original.
- After 3 to 6 sessions, you may see long-term results.
Disadvantages of laser hair removal
- Lasers work best on people who have light skin and dark hair because they target dark colors.
- Discoloured skin, swelling, redness, blisters, and scars may be some of the more unpleasant laser hair removal effects.
- People having laser treatment should avoid sunlight for 6 weeks before treatment to prevent discolouration of the tanned skin.
- Skin-numbing agents have been linked to serious and sometimes life-threatening side effects in laser hair removal procedures.
Best At-Home Laser Hair Removal Kits
- Silk’n Infinity – At Home Permanent Hair Removal for Women and Men
- Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser
- Braun IPL Hair Removal for Women, Silk Expert Pro 5 PL5137
- Remington iLight Pro At-Home IPL Hair Removal System
7. Electrolysis hair removal
If you’re looking for a permanent method, Electrolysis hair removal might be your best bet. The downside to this method is that it is painful, costly and can be done only by a dermatologist.
The procedure involves inserting an epilator device under the skin. Using shortwave radio frequencies, the device stops new hair from growing in the hair follicles.
However, electrolysis hair removal can take a long time per session due to the fact that the probe has to be placed in every hair follicle to remove each strand.
The benefit of this method is Electrolysis can be used anywhere on the body, including the eyebrows.
Advantages of Electrolysis
- Electrolysis is approved by the FDA for permanent hair removal
- You can use electrolysis anywhere on the body, including on the eyebrows
- After the procedure, people can resume their daily activities immediately
- Once you have removed the hair, no future electrolysis sessions are necessary
- Electrolysis does not require the use of chemicals on the skin, unlike laser hair removal
Disadvantages of electrolysis
- Several treatment sessions may be required to achieve lasting results if electrolysis is performed on larger areas. Additionally, removing coarse hair, such as from around the bikini line, requires more sessions.
- A person who undergoes electrolysis will most likely experience discomfort and pain.
- Electrolysis can produce scars or infection from unsterilized needles unless you see a certified dermatologist.
FAQ – Facial Hair Removal
Which Is Better, Threading or Tweezing?
Whether to thread or tweeze depends on individual needs.
Tweezing results in more defined eyebrows as it removes unwanted hairs strand by strand for a neat, precise look. With threading, even very fine hair can be removed. Threading is highly recommended for those who prefer a natural look.
Is waxing or shaving better?
Shaving and waxing are completely different. If you need long lasting results waxing is the best solution. If you are pressed for time, shaving can do the job.
By repeatedly tugging, wax swiftly removes hair from the root. A shave is a trim rather than a removal of hair from the root. A razor is all you need for shaving and that’s it.
Are electric razors better than normal razors?
Electric razors are faster than manual razors. They roll up the skin, forcing hairs up before cutting them, you don’t need to shave the same area repeatedly. But they are heavy though you can carry whenever there is an electric source to charge. Electric razors don’t always need shaving cream, gel or soap for shaving.
While manual razors are the best option for a closest shave for a longer period of time than electric razors.
When we have the option to shave, why should we use hair removal creams?
The most traditional method when no such products existed was shaving. However, if you shave, the hairs appear again within two to three days, forcing you to have the shaving again.
Aside from this, the skin surface becomes rough, and sometimes it becomes too itchy in the shaved area. These can be prevented by using the depilatory cream, which will last almost one month without any itching problem.
Is hair removal cream works the same as razors?
By using a razor, the skin’s surface becomes rough to touch due to all the stubbles and hairs removed above the skin surface.
Hair removal creams destroy each hair follicle beneath the skin’s surface, leaving the skin soft and smooth.
Does the hair removal cream make the skin black?
No! These creams help to remove the dirt from your face and hydrate it. In addition, it does not make your skin turn black after using it.
Is hair removal cream safe for people with sensitive skin?
You can use depilatory creams even if you have sensitive skin. There are many creams which are particularly made for sensitive skin without causing any side effects.
How is depilatory cream different from bleach?
Bleaching is just a process to lighten up the hair rather than removing it. The method makes the hair very light, blending it with the skin. This makes the hair less noticeable. Whereas hair removal creams are used to remove hair from the surface.
Is electrolysis or laser better for chin hair?
Electrolysis and laser therapy both produce longer-lasting effects. However, electrolysis seems to work best. They have a more permanent effect. Electrolysis also has a few side effects, though you don’t need the follow up visits required for laser hair removal.
On the other hand, laser hair removal comes under insurance protection electrolysis not.
For some people, facial hair can be annoying, but getting rid of it is a simple fix. You could remove the unwanted hair for weeks, or months, or even permanently depending on the chosen method of facial hair removal for women.
While it comes to facial hair removal, it is important to consider your comfort level, tolerance to pain, cost involved and the safety measures.